Sunday, November 4, 2007

Pancakes and Grapefruit Juice

So, this morning I woke up feeling very motivated. Not so much a "Solve World Hunger" movitated, but more of a "Solve Kade's Hunger" motivated. With that level of motivation, I decided to venture forth and make breakfast...pancakes, actually. Now, this may not seem like such a challenge or even a big thing, but keep in mind that this is me here. I have never made pancakes on my own. Given today's experience, I may not be making them on my own again any time soon.

You see, I am challenged...almost handicapped, if you will (which I'm sure you will), by my own visions of grandeur. I think, "I shall make pancakes," but in reality, I'm thinking of these beautifully round and golden gems that would be featured on the front of any respectable cooking magazine sold only to those with the most discriminating tastes. So, it's no wonder that I'm thoroughly disappointed at this moment.

Sure, I could follow the directions for "Melt in your Mouth Pancakes" (except I was a bit confused when they said "blend ingredients"--does this mean until smooth or just until all ingredients are incorporated?? Why can't they specify?!), but when it came time to actually cook them, I was presented with a challenge. My first issue was that I don't own a flat griddle. So, I used a large frying pan. I didn't heart using a large frying pan. Everytime I flipped my not-so-golden-or-round lumps of cake, they would end up not flipping so smoothly and would thus leave raw batter over the edge and down the curved side of the pan.

Then, there was the issue as to how much batter to put on at one time. Sure, the recipe says scant 1/4 cup, but since I was using an over-sized coffee mug to scoop the batter into the frying pan, the focus became more on trying to dump less on the stovetop than it did on measuring the amount making it into the pan. However, despite these challenges, I learned that by moving the pan around a bit when the batter is first put in, one can make a bit better of an actual circle. My first attempts were oblong and angular things. Next, I learned that though the directions say simply to make sure the griddle is "hot", keeping the pan on medium-high to high is not the way to do this. The pancakes "cooked" during this particular phase sure were melt-in-your-mouth--well--they'd have to be as they were just raw batter in the middle of dark brown crispy covers.

So, by the time all was said and done, I had cooked up a heap of expirementation, which didn't taste too bad when combined with lots of Brummel & Brown, a mouthful of peach jam, and a big swig of apple juice or milk. I was able to down almost five of my succulent little batter masses by utilizing these extra measures. While I'm thinking of it, for those who are fans of fruit juice, if you haven't tried the "Simply Orange" brand juice line, you are soooooo missing out. Not only is the "Simply Orange" great (as orange is my favorite juice), but the "Simply Grapefruit" and "Simply Apple" are also absolutely delicious and I highly recommend them. It is as the title suggests--it's 100% juice with no sugars, additives, etc. And, it's amazing.

The grapefruit one made me think back to the mornings spent at my grandparents' house, when we'd have fresh grapefruit with powdered sugar sprinkled on it. I was half tempted to sprinkle some powdered sugar in my juice as it would've made the moment perfect. So, I guess this actually proves in the end that some experiences do pan (no pun intended) out to be as wonderful and amazing as they are in one's head. Yes, I suck at pancake making and my attempts in no way reflect what I envisioned. But, at least the grapefruit juice, for instance, completely matches how I remember wonderful times spent with my grandparents.

Sure, I can't physically go back in time to to their house in Idaho and those great mornings spent fighting with my sisters over who got to sit in the single counter stool, but I can go back in my mind to those times when I felt loved beyond measure. So, I guess that instead of giving up completely on being able to make pancakes, I should continue to attempt it, as who knows...maybe one day I'll taste a melt-in-your-mouth pancake and it will take me back to this time in my life, when I also feel happy and loved beyond measure. I reckon that's motivation enough to keep trying things that I don't do so well or haven't ever tried. Next up on the new experiences agenda...painting the frame of a wall hanging. Again, something I've never done before--and the paint is black. Pray for me. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey!

Time for my genuine comment in Kade's blog! :)

First of all - how come you cannot make pancakes??? This is so easy... but you want it soooo perfect... I mean, it cannot be 100% round, but it can taste good... Anyway, keep practicing it cuz by the moment I visit you, I'd love to have some with this Simply Orange - free sugar - in the end of the afternoon, what do you tell me? :P

And well.... I think you should keep doing what you're doing... I mean, you're working hard and look around you.... see how much you've gained since you've arrived in NC, Kade! Be proud of yourself!

Also, never give up easily from anything that looks impossible and extremelly difficult to get it...

When you want, you have it! ;)

Beijos

Thoughts that occur to Tot...shared as randomly as they occur.