Thursday, November 1, 2007

Not-so-Happy Halloween!

Shalom!

Well, I am a bit bitter today. I woke up feeling ill again (under the weather would be an understatement) and this made me anything but a happy camper. I finally dragged myself from bed and made it to work at about 2:00 pm, as I had a few projects I needed to work on. It was also "Cube or Treat" today, for which I had signed up, so I stopped at the grocery store on my way to work and picked up some good ol' Little Debbies for my contribution. I had planned to make some clever, homemade, and festive treats, but illness prevented that from happening.

So, as I was pulling into the store, I passed a delivery truck for some cigarette company and on the side, the slogan read, "From our farm to you...", as if to imply that the cigarettes were nothing more than just tobacco fresh from the farm. They forgot to mention that it took a detour when it left the farm and traveled to the store by way of a large factory where toxins and seductive packaging were added. Slight oversight on their part, I think. It pissed me off, actually. I knew then that I was not feeling well, when I let a delivery van ad make me that angry. This anger later re-surfaced when I received a holiday catalog from Harry and David at work. I don't know which company first sold my information, but I now hold the distinction of getting more mail on a daily basis than anyone else in my division. This includes the executives. Once people see that I'm in marketing, the push to sell me something is phenomenal.

Anyway, getting the catalog didn't anger me, but the picture on the front did. It was of this perfect pear half, without a single bite taken from it, but there is a spoon shown dangling in front of said pear half with a bite of this fresh pear all ready to be eaten--and pear juice dripping from the spoon. Why would this make me angry, you ask? It's because the stinking pear half didn't have a bite taken from it, so how did a bite end up on the spoon???? I know what they were trying to achieve with the look, but where's the logic? How can a bite of a pear appear on a spoon, when the pear hasn't been touched? Grrrrr...I'm getting worked up over this all over again.

So, I clearly am not feeling up to par today. The doctor took a blood sample and tested it for mono, given my mononucleousis-ridden history, just to make sure I didn't have it again, but as I expected, the test came back negative. It doesn't feel like mono anyway...the only similarities are that I'm dead tired and my whole body aches. Other than that, I have no sore throat (sore being a term that in no way accurately describes the amount of pain one experiences in the throat with mono---"razor-sliced with salt and lemon juice poured in the gaping wound" is a little more of an accurate description of that pain), my spleen isn't painfully swollen, and my liver is not so enlarged that I can see it through my t-shirt. So, I didn't need a blood test to tell me it wasn't mono. However, it is good to rule things out I suppose.

Anyway, I am working at home tomorrow and probably Friday too as I am contageous and am supposed to be resting, drinking lots of fluids, taking Tylenol, yada yada yada. The one good thing in all of this is that the doctor told me I can't do any exercise or keep up my usual routine, as I'm supposed to take it easy. So, at least I have a doctor's orders to be a slacker. :) (Hey--anything to relieve some guilt from my very-guilt-prone self.) Besides, this is apparently the reason I find myself back in the position of being ill, after feeling so great on Monday. I overdid it on Monday, after three days of sickness, and that brought this whole thing back on. Alas...

Well, Matza is starting to snore, so I take that as my sign that it's time for me to go to bed. I hope everyone had a Happy Halloween!

Later,
Tater

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you feel better today??

Beijos,
Carol.

Thoughts that occur to Tot...shared as randomly as they occur.