Monday, November 26, 2007

My Birthday: The Should-be National Holiday

Good evening, friends, neighbors, countrymen...but please don't lend me your ear, as that'd be nasty and I have two perfectly good ones of my own, thanks.

It is now 5:11 on the eve of my birthday. I have 19 more minutes to be at work, but as I don't have anything going on at my desk right now, I shall write a blog instead of work. I suppose I could've done this at any point during the day, as I've put maybe 30 minutes of actual work in today. The rest of the time I have spent shopping for handheld vacuum/spot cleaners. I had a great deal in my shopping cart at homedepot.com, but by the time I did my price comparison shopping and debated over spending any money, the item was gone. Alas, such is my lot in life for being poor/fiscally responsible.

So, what, you ask, am I doing for my birthday? Well, it all started off with me making a mad dash to get ready for work, only to have to go back in my apartment twice for forgotten items, and subsequently arriving at work 18 minutes late after driving in dense fog. I arrived to find the obligatory birthday card from my co-workers on my keyboard and my boss telling me he was taking me to lunch for my birthday, along with some of the other managers.

After a swamped morning of....well, nothing but partaking of Cyber Monday, we headed off to this Mediterranean restaurant I've heard a lot about. It was most delicious. I won't attempt to spell the various foods I had that I hadn't tried before, but suffice it to say, it was most delicious and worth going back to eat again. We rode in my boss's BMW, which I must say is certainly a vehicle to which I aspire in regards to purchasing. It was so comfortable.

I spent my afternoon looking for good vacuum deals and reading reviews, along with chit-chatting with co-workers. I am about to shut down the laptop and head on home so I can go to my "surprise" birthday dinner with a bunch of friends. I know what part of the menu is too, but I will be surprised about some of it. I love surprises (not to be confused with the kind of surprise that involves someone jumping out at me from a dark place or closet/grabbing me during a tense moment in a scary movie), but I always manage to find out information beforehand that ruins it for me. So, I'll go act surprised and just enjoy the evening with some great friends. I wish my family and Darin and Cammie Jan could be here, but I'm grateful for the friends that I will be able to spend time with and I'm also glad I was able to spend a few days with Darin and Cammie Jan anyway. I'll see my family next month, which will be here before too long anyway.

So, though my day wasn't entirely exciting, it has still been a great day and I look forward to having a great evening too--and hopefully a great year ahead, as I embark into my 28th year of life. Thanks to those in my life that truly enrich it and make it a life of which many could be envious, as I have such great people around me. Not everyone is so fortunate and I'm grateful that I can be one who is. Happy Birthday to me, I say!

No comments:

Thoughts that occur to Tot...shared as randomly as they occur.