Friday, November 2, 2007

Colonic Activity

Well, let me first start this blog by stating that what I'm going to write is probably a bit different than what you're thinking when judging by the blog title. It's probably not nearly as disgusting as your thoughts are, you nasty individual. :)

So, I was just sitting here (no pun intended) thinking about the colon. Why, you ask? Well, I shall tell you. I was going through my favorite URLs list and came across one I had titled "Informative Ulcerative Colitis Site". As I haven't visited this site in some time, I ventured forth to see what exactly I had found that was so informative. You see, I, like 500,000-2 million other Americans, have ulcerative colitis. When I was first diagnosed last Fall, I had no idea what on earth that even was or how it would affect my life. So, I did what any normal person would do and I started to do my research. This research lead me to the site I titled as "informative". (For those wondering, this is the site: http://www.medicinenet.com/ulcerative_colitis/article.htm

There was an ad on TV the other night about some new ulcerative colitis site, but I can't remember what the URL was. I'd be interested to see what is being said on that one. Fortunately, in my case, this was detected very early on and so I am one of the lucky ones. I have to take incredibly expensive aminosalicylate anti-inflammatory drugs on a daily basis (to the tune of $15/pill), but this should prevent any further spread of this disease. Anyway, that's not the point of this blog. The point is this: Every one (particularly those over 40) needs to have a colonoscopy done--and don't put it off!! Just the other day, a co-worker told me that they went ahead and had a colonoscopy done, as I had encouraged them to do. Yes, some would say that it is odd that I'd encourage co-workers to have colonoscopies, but given my family history of colon cancer and my own personal genetic diseases related to the colon, I can not encourage any one too much to have this done.

And, I should note here that colonoscopies are not nearly as horrible as you'd imagine them to be. The worst part of it is the preparation, during which you either have to drink two 16-oz. bottles of the nastiest saltiest liquid you'll ever taste, or you'll have to take approximately 30 salt pills that are also very nasty. However, once you're past downing this liquid and through with, shall we say "vacating the colon", it is not bad from there. You're totally unconscious during the procedure and it does not take long at all. I think the longest it's ever taken for me is about 45 minutes. It really is a fast, worthwhile procedure that you (yes, you!) need to stop putting off!

OK, now that I have my strong admonitions done, I shall share a site I just found that made me laugh out loud (or LOL, if you will--and I'm sure you will). I need to add this exhibit to my list of must see places. After all, how often can one experience walking through a 20-foot long and 8-foot high replica of a human colon, I ask you: http://www.preventcancer.org/colorectal/

So, with that thought (crappy as it may be :)), I shall bid you adieu for now. But, remember, a healthy colon is a happy colon. And those are Tot's Thoughts.

2 comments:

Darin said...

There's a fine, fine line between helpful, getting-to-know-you stuff and WAY TOO MUCH information. You crossed that line about two miles ago.

Anonymous said...

Pretty interesting and informative your blog, Kade!!! :)
And as for the Super Colon... LMAO!! This place must be really interesting in the end... but its picture.. Oh my!!!! LMAO

Beijos
Carol.

Thoughts that occur to Tot...shared as randomly as they occur.