Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A BlackBerry? No...a Lemon.

I hate my phone. Yes, hate. In the past few months, I have experienced the following with this supposed technological marvel--the BlackBerry Pearl:

-It wouldn't send picture messages for weeks
-It deleted the internet browser on its own
-It's stopped receiving texts...twice. The first time was during a break-up, only making the whole situation worse as it looked like I was being an @$$ and ignoring my texts
-It deleted all of my 465 contacts, while I was trying to do a software update in an attempt to fix another problem it had. My favorite part of that fiasco: I did backup the data--or attempt to--but, when I went to restore it all, I found that the backup file was "corrupted", resulting in hours of work trying to recover the contacts; I got back 430. I'm still discovering who the 35 missing are. Oh, and when that whole thing happened, it froze my phone up and wouldn't let me call anyone--and I was heading out on a blind date, with no capability of checking in with friends to let them know I was fine. It was awful.
-It has started deleting all of my messages before I can even get them open--or the second I close them, they'll delete
-At random, my inbox (which I do not keep overfilled anyway) deletes texts or emails, sometimes all of them at once
-The phone freezes up regularly and gives me that stupid twirling hour glass--usually at the most inopportune times too
-In the middle of texting, it will switch from doing "SureType" to doing the multi-tap alphabet on its own
-The camera zoom has completely failed to work
-The scrolling mouse thing only works occasionally and when I try to scroll to select the correct word from the SureType list, it doesn't work and picks a random one, resulting in me re-typing the word several times before it accepts it

-And, the latest saga: I sent a text to some friends and family members this morning, letting them know that, yet again, my phone is not receiving texts. I know this because I was mad at a friend for not answering me yesterday, so I yelled at them. But it turns out they answered me--twice--and I just didn't get it. Grrr. Anyway, I sent the text this morning and almost instantly, I got a call from some random Utah phone number (801 area code). I thought, "Hmmmm...this is really early for Utah time. It could be an emergency, but it could just be a wrong number." So, I let it go to VM and then immediately checked it. This is how the voicemail went:

"Yes, if your phone number is (...), please stop texting my son! He's 12 years old. We live in Ogden, Utah. He just got a text saying that your phone is messed up and this is the 10th text he's gotten from you. Please stop texting him! We have to pay for every one you send."

I called back and apologized and got his phone number to see if it just happens to be one number off from any of my family members', but it wasn't anywhere even close. I told her I was taking the phone in today to be fixed...again...and then apologized again. After hanging up, it occurred to me that my phone has done some pretty stupid things. So, I went into each family member's record to make sure his number didn't get added into it somehow. Sure enough, my phone replaced my sister Kami's cell number with some random 12-year-old boy's cell number. AAAAAHHH!!! I so want to smash the thing...but instead, I will do the calm thing and make Verizon replace it. I called them yesterday again anyway and they said they'd do whatever it took to make me happy. They'd better stand by that, as I do not need a $300 piece of junk that texts random 12-year-old boys. Not cool.

OK, I have said my peace...amen.

No comments:

Thoughts that occur to Tot...shared as randomly as they occur.