Monday, July 12, 2010

A night straight from the circus book.

Well, it was an uneventful eventful weekend, if that makes sense. Maybe saying "uneventful busy" makes more sense. Either way, nothing overly crazy happened, but we sure stayed busy. Last night, however, did get a little crazy for a bit.

Tobi is doing a lot better (doubling her pain meds did her a world of good) and isn't doing her handstand walk nearly as much. In fact, this morning she even used her right rear paw to get some balance! It was a nice moment because she hasn't done that since leaving the hospital. She did that more and more before leaving the hospital, but once she was off the IV meds and the oral ones weren't as effective, she immediately regressed and refused to put her paw down at all. We spent lots of time holding her and letting her sit on the couch next to us throughout the weekend so she'd not feel like her life was nothing but staying behind bars and being fed medicine.

In the past, Tobi hasn't been so bright and has failed to realize she could escape during the times when I accidentally leave her crate unlocked. So, last night I didn't think anything of leaving it unlocked while I took Matza out first to do her business--especially since Tobi's not a big fan of movement right now anyway. I adjusted Tobi's bandages, left the crate unlocked, and then went out of the room for just a minute to grab Matza's leash. When I returned, Matza was gone. I was trying to be quiet because Artis had already gone to bed (this was about 11 pm) but I loudly whispered up the stairs for her to get back downstairs. She LOVES bedtime and had already headed up to bed when I wasn't looking. She sauntered on down, I took her outside, and she wouldn't pee. At all. None. Zilch. The dog pees more than anything I've ever seen, so this told me she'd probably gone somewhere in the house since I last took her outside. After walking all over creation in the heat and humidity (it was sooooo nasty out--I was sweating like you wouldn't believe), I finally gave up and took her back inside, whereupon I discovered Tobi's crate door wide open with no Tobi inside the crate.

I looked all over the first floor and couldn't find her, which made me just sick to my stomach because I knew she'd have gone upstairs to find Artis. She is not allowed to walk at all, other than to go outside to the bathroom, so climbing stairs was completely out of the question. But, that's exactly what the little monster did! I turned on the light to the stairwell and saw the furball laying on the second-to-the-top stair. I guess she got tuckered out and laid down for a nap. Anyway, I walked up to get her and told her, "Tobi, no, no. This is not what we do." And that's when I found what else was missing--Matza's pee puddle. It was on the stair right above where Tobi had stopped.

I was so exasperated. Walking all over with Matza in that blasted humidity was bad, but so was running all over trying to find Tobi. I trudged down the stairs with her and got her outside, she did her thing, and I went in to start cleaning the carpet. Unfortunately, all of the commotion had woken Artis, so he was already up cleaning it. I felt so bad. And so mad. And so sweaty.

Eventually, we got the girls in their beds, Tobi drugged up for the night, Matza lectured, me de-sweated, and we were able to pass out pretty solidly since Tobi didn't cry during the night. Hooray! Hopefully tonight will be much less sucky and I'll be able to just take them out to do their business without all this mayhem!!

No comments:

Thoughts that occur to Tot...shared as randomly as they occur.