Monday, July 19, 2010

It's the Weekend Update Not With Tina Fey!

Here it is Monday already...is it just me or are the weekends flying by faster than previously felt?! I do not approve.

Meanwhile, it was a pretty laid back weekend, as weekends go for me. On Friday, Artis & I broke our own rule by making plans with friends. We went to dinner with the gang, rather than having our usual Friday night "QT with the Cutie" time. (QT=Quality Time) Because our lives get so insane, we found that it's easiest to schedule one consistent time that we can just hang out with each other. That time would be Friday nights. Sometimes we sit on the couch staring at each other, asking, "So, what should we do?" Other times we actually have plans to have dinner somewhere or to go to a movie, while still other times we simply dwell in the same space and watch the TV shows that we DVR'd during the week. (You can tell we live such exciting lives when we're camped out watching TV on a Friday night.)

Well, last week we were supposed to have dinners with two different couples but those had to be canceled due to conflicts. Therefore, we did get to spend a couple of evenings hanging out during the week, since I was not motivated to work and we had all this free time now with the two cancellations. So, when Artis said he wanted to go to dinner with a couple of our friends on Friday night, I was just fine with that. It turned out to be our whole gang (don't worry--we don't have an assigned color, so you're safe to wear whatever color you'd like to around us and we won't cut you) and we went for pizza at one of my favorite places, Moonlight. We always get their bruschetta, because it's the best thing on earth, and the Earth, Wind, & Fire pizza. (Grilled chicken, roma tomatoes, avocado.) But, we also usually get an extra loaf or two of the homemade bread they use to make the bruschetta. As was the case on Friday night. I had kind of a rough day on Friday, so I was in a cantankerous and anti-social mood, but I was happy to spend time with everyone and to get said bread.

On Saturday, I spent the morning doing errands (unfortunately, I couldn't get Tobi's pain meds since the pharmacy closed & didn't leave her Rx at the vet hospital front desk), then Artis sent a text saying he wanted to go to the matinee for "Inception". I got back to the house at 3 pm & he pulled up the showtimes, only to realize the matinee was at 3:15 pm. It's a good thing we live close to the theater. We made it in time to get most of the previews (Artis LOVES watching the previews; I hate them) and then we watched what I think is one of the most amazing shows to hit the big screen in decades! I should clarify here that I am not a sci-fi or fantasy fan normally. Harry Potter would be about my only exception to that & I was more in love with the books than the movies. In fact, I've never even seen all of the movies. So, for me to enjoy this movie so much was an anomaly. But, enjoy it I did! It was incredible. I love it when a movie makes you use your brain--well, sometimes I like those kinds of movies. Other times I just don't want to have to think, so brain numbing entertainment is in order at those junctures.

Anyway, we watched the movie & then went back home, where I worked and worked and worked. Oh and we went to dinner, where we learned (through eavesdropping on his convo with the table next to us) that our waiter is working towards an undergrad in eco-sciences, a degree with which he hopes to change how homes are constructed so as to lessen the anti-earth footprint construction leaves in an area. So, that was fun.

On Sunday, I woke up and made Artis & Mont my mom's French toast recipe and my grandma's Cinnamon Cream Syrup recipe to go with it. It is one of my most favorite breakfasts & not one I've shared with Artis before. Typically I don't share any breakfasts with Artis because during the week, I eat my Nutri-Grain bar & on the weekends, I usually sleep until at least 9 am and Artis gets up around 6 am. So, he's ready for lunch when I'm jumping in the shower to start my day.

I spent Sunday working (got lots done!) and then we went to dinner with a friend, prior to going to the Star Wars concert. Dinner was at a new place & I think I will happily frequent there. They were polite, relatively prompt, and the food was tasty, but what won my heart was two things: 1) They put hand sanitizer at each table! Genius! and B) They had four giant screens playing on the wall, with speakers and controls at each table so you could decide what you wanted to listen to and at what level. It was sooooo much better than loud blaring overhead to the point you can't talk to each other. (We had that very thing happen when one of Artis' optometry school buddies came into town and we took him to a pub downtown. We didn't realize it was karaoke night & it was literally so loud we couldn't scream to where the person next to us could hear us. It was awful.) Anyway, so ten brownie points to the restaurant.

Now, you know how I said that sci-fi and fantasy aren't really my thing? Yeah, so about that Star Wars concert. Not my choice or idea. Artis' company has a suite, so he got us tickets through that. I do enjoy orchestra music, so that was the draw for me. I did not, however, look forward to running into all sorts of creepy people in bizarre costumes. Gratefully, there were fewer than I thought there'd be, but that actually was a disappointment in a way. Because of our vantage point, I was hoping for copious quantities of photo opps. But that was not to be. Instead, we (two of Artis' friends joined us) had a fun time chatting, listening to the music, and an interesting time taking in the ambiance...which included an old man wearing a "My Lightsaber is Bigger than Yours" t-shirt in a size about two smaller than what he should've worn. I also did have fun running into an old coworker & his wife; it was great catching up with them.

After the concert, we zipped on out of there (I must say, the VIP parking and entrance were awesome--there's even a designated exit lane just for the VIP parking so we were on the main road in no time), and I went back home to work. Come bedtime, I was ready to murder Matza. Tobi and Artis went to bed at their usual early hour; Matza and I went to bed at 1 am. I got Matza into her new bed & she sat kind of funny. I whispered (so as not to disturb Artis) to her that she needed to lay down. She didn't budge. So, I shone my cell phone light on her only to realize the beast was peeing on her new bed!!! I about killed her. So, I got her and the bed out of the room as carefully and quietly as possible. I got Matz and the bed all cleaned up, grabbed one of her other beds from downstairs, and we attempted it all over again. She seems to have avoided urination on this one, so we were good to go. I don't know what gets into her sometimes.

Tobi, meanwhile, spent the weekend lounging and being clingy. We ran low on her pain meds and since the pharmacy had done all their mess, we had no choice but to space out her meds Saturday and Sunday. She seemed to be just fine though and is putting more and more pressure on her rear right leg. As long as I get her to hobble slowly outside, she'll take the time to use that leg a little more. Otherwise, she speeds along to do her business and get back in my arms so she can go back inside. We have one more week of pain meds and then we're through! Artis & I couldn't be happier about this. He usually goes home for lunch, but now he doesn't have a choice, since she has to have her afternoon dose. I, meanwhile, run around in the morning and evening to get each of the girls taken care of, fed separately, and in their appropriate spots (Tobi at Artis', Matza at mine), etc. It's exhausting. At least the meds being done and over with will remove one component of that saga. In crappy news, however, the hospital "forgot" to bill me before for one of the surgery fees, so I got an $1100 bill on Saturday to add to the other craziness this all has cost. Sigh.

And that is my weekend in review. I'm now off to look into this whole money tree growing thing, so as to be able to pay for Tobi's vet...

No comments:

Thoughts that occur to Tot...shared as randomly as they occur.