Monday, April 28, 2008

Hmmph...

Well, as many know, I've been looking for a new job and have been in the holding stage for one job in particular for about a month and a half now. It's kind of sucky, but I think it will come through and it'll be a nice raise...to the tune of $10,000 more/year. In the meantime, I found another opportunity that would be awesome in SOOOOOO many ways--especially the $20-30,000/year raise.

Well, anyway, this particular job has so many perks to it, above and beyond the pay. A friend of mine is the recruiter filling the position and she tried to get the hiring manager to bring me in for an interview. Unfortunately, she wouldn't do so. The reason? No, it's not lack of experience...it's that I have too much experience. That's right! At the ripe ol' age of 27, I am overqualified for a job. I couldn't believe it. The pay raise is tremendous and the job is phenomenal...and yet I have done too much marketing to even be able even get an interview. Go figure. Oh, and I should mention here that this position is with one of my current employer's largest clients.

So, today, I ended up at this client's site, attending a meeting to go over some fundraising ideas, as we'll be partnering with them for an event this fall. Who would be sitting right across the table from me? None other than the director of marketing who felt I was overqualified. The meeting went sooooo well that after the meeting, the VP of Global Procurement for this major telecom company came up to thank me and tell me he's so excited I'm on the project. When I introduced myself, he remembered that we'd met a year ago. I was quite impressed.

Anyway, so after that, my co-worker (who was also presenting some great ideas at the meeting) introduced me to the marketing director...and I saw the lightbulb go on in her head once she realized who I am. Well, this was done on purpose by my co-worker (she told me later) and it provided a great opportunity for me to discuss my current marketing projects with the co-worker loud enough for the marketing director to hear as we walked back to the office in front of her. Interestingly enough, this marketing director stopped by the HR dept later (where I was at the time) to visit with the recruiter who filled the position for her and said in a loud enough voice, "the guy you wanted me to inverview had great potential, but just wasn't the right fit for the position." I loved that we both made sure we talked loud enough for the other to hear. So passive agressive...I love it.

The cool thing is that we'll both be working on this project for the next four months and so hopefully she'll see that though I may have more experience than she wants, that's not a bad thing. We're working towards raising $60,000, which is a ton of work, of course, but that's even more opportunity to show her I'm worth consideration for future openings. We'll have to see what happens. In the meantime, I'll continue to be my passive agressive self...and trust me--I'm overqualified at that too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hiya!!

How does it feel, me bugging you all the time with messages on MySpace and now, over here tôo? LOL Well… be flattered, my dear! :P
My 4-days-off (because of holiday) have been totally relaxing and chilling… it would be better if the weather helped and if it was sunny outside and that I could enjoy them a little more…!
Anyway.... I'm laughing here with this post of yours... Kade, these people are NONSENSE!! Not hiring you because you're overqualified it's an absurd!!!! Isn't it an excuse of hers for not hiring you and seeing that her days in the company is, like we say in Portuguese, "counted"??? LOL
I think so... People who have this kind of attitude, they are insecure, if they can handle the situation and it wouldn't a huge surprise if she doesn't have the same experiences as you do!! :)
Well… As you said, let’s wait and check it out later! Think that if it will be great for your professional life as you said and you’ll be much happier… this professional opportunity is more than welcome! ;) Beijos!!

Thoughts that occur to Tot...shared as randomly as they occur.