Sunday, December 16, 2007

The things one learns...

So, I have been sick now (yes, again) for a whole week. I am sick of being sick. Anyway, I finished off an entire box of Tylenol Severe Cold, which did help with the headaches a lot and earaches a little bit, but I finally came to the realization that it was just not going to cut it. With that, I headed off to Urgent Care today and got in right before they closed. Turns out I do have a severe cold, but also tonsillitis, so it's a good thing I went as I need an antibiotic. I also remembered to ask for an inhaler refill, as the ones I have on hand have all expired and that, of course, is no good. Anyway, during this fun today, I learned two things:

-While reading a magazine in the Urgent Care waiting room, I learned that if you gargle just regular water (no salt or anything) for 15-seconds, three times a day, you cut down your throat-related illnesses by 36%. For me, this is a huge deal, as that's where I get sick the most--in my throat and in my lungs.

-At the pharmacy, the colorful pharmacist (who once told me about her mental illnesses and the treatments for such--and whose son is getting married to a girl from Pakistan on Dec. 23rd--and she's sewing the dresses, but her sewing machine is on the fritz and has to go to the repair shop) asked me if I knew how to correctly use an inhaler. I told her that, given my 15 years of inhaler usage, I did indeed know how to use an inhaler. She said that those who have used them the longest are the worst offenders. I thought, "Not me." But, she insisted she demonstrate to me how to correctly use the inhaler and though I'm proud of myself for doing almost everything correctly, I have been screwing up on one thing--the actual inhalation. She told me that I'll use the inhaler and think I got ultra-albuterol as the difference will be so noticeable when I do inhale correctly. Though I think the lady is a bit much to take at times, she was correct as I do feel like I have ultra albuterol this time. Wahoo!

So, my thoughts this evening are that though I haven't felt like doing much--let alone learn new things--I'm grateful that I had to wait a moment for the doctor so that I could read that magazine article that can only help and I'm also grateful that I have a good pharmacist who takes the time to make sure I'm well informed. OH! And, I did learn one more thing tonight while watching Extreme Makeover: Home Edition--there's a device you can hook your cell phone to that allows your incoming texts to appear on your television screen! That's very exciting, considering my text addiction. Anyway, I hope all is well with each of you!

PS--Only one week until I'm with my family in Utah! WAHOO!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you feeling better today?

Thoughts that occur to Tot...shared as randomly as they occur.