Wednesday, December 5, 2007

I'm a regular Christopher Columbus!

Today, my friends, I made a most interesting discovery--very comparable to Chris finding America (even if he wasn't the first one). Incidentally, Queen Isabella is a distant, distant cousin of mine, so it stands to reason I would make such a great discovery. This is also a find with which you--yes, YOU!--can experiment and see for yourself!

This all started with me trying to give a friend the directions to my house. So, I typed:
"Park anywhere but in the covered parking and I’m on the main floor in apt #818." (You can open MS Word and copy this sentence there if you want to try this for yourself.) You will (or should, if your Word works the same as mine) see that "I'm" is underlined with the green squiggly line, suggesting a recommended change. If you right-click to see the suggestions, you will find that it suggests using "I is" instead of "I'm". Now, "I is" would never be a correct usage in any sentence, so the fact that it suggests this is not only odd, but very witty in that MS didn't catch this. But, wait--it gets better! (Much like a Ron Popeil offer...)

Change the sentence to read "Park anywhere and I'm on the main floor." Now, the "I'm" has another suggestion--this time it's to use "I are". Again, this is never acceptable usage so truly an odd suggestion and oversight by supposedly intelligent programmers.

Based upon these amazing discoveries, you can clearly see that were you and I, Kadeopher Kimberumbus, to take a voyage together we would obviously find other amazing things that could also change the world! My thought is that it's a good thing I'm--or should that be "I is" or "I are"?--a fan of traveling, as it's clear that the world needs my genius to be spread abroad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL
Pretty interesting!

Thoughts that occur to Tot...shared as randomly as they occur.