Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Easiest From-Scratch Peach Cobbler EVER

Greetings!

I know there's a peach cobbler recipe out there somewhere that involves a yellow cake mix, butter, and peaches, but I came across an even tastier & super easy recipe while trying to find the cake mix one. And, what's even better is that this one is made from scratch, so it sounds like you worked much harder than you actually did. That's always nice, of course.

So, I made the cobbler the other night and it was indeed really tasty--particularly the cake part of it. Yesterday, I went to the fridge to get some more of it (and was going to primarily make sure I got more cake than peaches) but then I opened the container to find that Artis had beat me to the punch & had eaten the bulk of the cake, leaving me peach slices. I was not amused. After lecturing him (and then later admitting I was going to do the same thing to him that he did to me), "we" (read: Artis) decided I needed to make another cobbler...but without the fruit. And I did. And it was amazing. And I discovered a cake that I'll now use for my strawberry shortcake recipe, in place of the butter biscuits I currently use.

You're going to laugh when you realize how easy this recipe is, so without further adieu here it is:

1 stick butter
1 C self-rising flour (important that it's self-rising)
1 C sugar
1 C milk
2 C sliced peaches, drained if using canned (though I'm thinking any fruit would be good in it)

Steps:
1) Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Melt the butter in a square baking dish. (I just put it on the stove and melted it directly in the baking dish so as to not dirty another pan)
3) Mix the milk, flour and sugar together until it's mostly incorporated. (it'll be a little lumpy)
4) Pour the batter over the top of the melted butter. Don't stir. (some of the butter will come up the sides and over the top of the batter; that's just fine)
5) Spoon the peaches on top of the batter.
6) Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is lightly browned; the edges may brown a little more than the top, but you don't want the middle to be doughy so make sure it really has started to brown on top.

That's it. No, I'm not kidding. The thing about using the self-rising flour is that as it bakes, the batter rises and the peaches sink down. So, it turns into a tasty buttery peach cobbler. And, if you skip the peach part of it, just bake it a few minutes less and you've got yourself one tremendously easy and tasty cake. As previously mentioned, I plan to use this as strawberry shortcake cake, with sugared strawberries and my should-be-famous cream cheese whipped cream all piled on top of it. Mmmmmm.

I'm off to find a towel to dry off my keyboard, now that I've salivated all over the poor thing...

No comments:

Thoughts that occur to Tot...shared as randomly as they occur.